Monday, January 12, 2009

Taking the plunge


My husband is this crazy marathon runner dude. I think the movie Run Fatboy Run summed it up best.


"He runs marathons."

"Why?"


It is very funny with the English accent, as all things are, you just have to trust me. I heard a para from England read Everybody Poops once. I could not maintain a professional demenor. It was the funniest shit I'd heard in a long time. Turns out, even teachers can laugh at poop.


Anyway, my hubs started with 5Ks and moved on to marathons. Then he decided he needed to run an ultra marathon, and picked out a 50 mile race. I was stressed, I took off work to go with him, ostensibly to celebrate, but really to be there when he fell over dead or just severely dehydrated. Neither of which happened, btw.


Since I lost weight, people have started asking me if I'm going to run a marathon. Or they've been saying about me, "She runs marathons." But I correct them, in strong language. Because 26.2 miles is a very, very long way. And I own a car. A rather posh one. So I don't really need to be running 26.2 miles.


And then...
We went to Boston in April. With 28 other marathon runners and spouses. On Saturday, we watched the fastest female marathoners in the US compete in the Olympic trials. Then, on Sunday, my husband and 28 other amigos ran the Boston marathon. And I have to tell you that watching all of those athletes (21,000+) who had worked and trained so hard, it was pretty inspiring. And that's when I got it. The Fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment